Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Seeking Your Editorial Opinion

This was a press release I received via email from my History 281 professor:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Professor Robert Warrior
American Indian Studies and Native American House University of Illinois,
Urbana-Champaign rwarrior@illinois.edu 217.265.9870 office 217.265.9880 fax

PUBLIC ART EXHIBIT AT NATIVE AMERICAN HOUSE VANDALIZED AGAIN

URBANA, IL -- April 7, 2009
Three signs that are part of the "Beyond the Chief" exhibit outside Native
American House and American Indian Studies buildings were vandalized between
Monday evening and Tuesday afternoon.

The damaged signs include the ones naming Meskwaki, Sac, and Potawatomi.
The signs, located on the 1200 block of West Nevada Street on campus, are
bent and permanently damaged.

"I find it distressing that this art exhibit which is meant to educate
everyone on campus about the indigenous history of Illinois has been
repeatedly targeted in this destructive way," said Robert Warrior, director
of Native American House and American Indian Studies.

These signs are just the latest to be vandalized.  On or about March 15, the
sign featuring the Peoria tribe was similarly damaged.

The signs are valued at $10,000 each.  To date, no arrests or citations have
been issued in connection with the damage.

The signs are part of an exhibit by Hock E Aye Vi Edgar Heap of Birds and
was designed to "remind the campus community whose land they occupy,"
according to the Native American House Web site. The signs represent 12
different indigenous peoples with homelands in Illinois.



This was the story in the Daily Illini- the last entry in Police Blotter:

An unknown offender damaged three pieces of artwork outside of the Native American House, 1204 W. Nevada St., sometime between Monday night and Tuesday afternoon.




Here's the question:  did this occurrence get the coverage it deserved?  Is there a bigger story here?


I won't give my opinion just yet.  That will be saved for my next blog entry.  I want to hear from other readers first.

2 comments:

  1. I can't remember where I heard this, but I do remember hearing it. But if that is all the DI did to acknowledge this occurence, I think they should have done more. With the recently retired Chief, one has to wonder what the motivation was behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is strange...if I worked for the DI I would jump on this story in flash, and it certainly touches on a lot of issues.
    Personally, I was sad to see the chief go, but if the persons responsible for the vandalism are doing it in an attempt to somehow revenge the loss of their mascot, they are in reality only proving the supposed ignorance and racism that got the chief banned in the first place.

    ReplyDelete