Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Hometown Newspapers

The word is out:  both the Chicago Sun-Times and Chicago Tribune are in financial ruts, having both filed for bankruptcy.

It seems that no matter what, no matter where, newspapers are in trouble and the medium needs to struggle to stay alive.  Local aspiring Chicago journalists are most likely really starting to feel that this news is hitting close to home.

While not a depressing shut-down faced by such as the Rocky Mountain News, it still makes this journalism major question what options there are post-graduation, especially considering that I have never been able to imagine myself going outside of Chicago to find answers, much less Illinois.

Yes, many say there is a big business in blogging and the web, but is there anything to do to change with the times and save the hard copies?  What needs to change first - the economy or the medium?  If the economy magically mended itself in an instant, would this have saved the Rocky Mountain News?  Are passionate journalists to leave romantic journalistic images of His Girl Friday behind?

I admit, I don't see myself as a journalist these days, but it doesn't mean I don't have a concern for my degree and my collegues.  Where are the answers?

2 comments:

  1. I really liked this post, Regina. I feel like whenever we leave lecture, I have to think about this question; however, I am not as worried about it as most people. Just because our generation is obsessed with receiving info with the click of a button does not mean the the older generations have given up on it just yet. Because of this, I feel like when the economy starts to get better, the whole print journalism realm will start to wake up a bit. Google had to drop an entire division. Google is a huge company with the capability of eating companies like the Rocky Mountain News for lunch. My point is that everyone is struggling, but I think journalists need to stop feeling as though they are alone, and start marketing print journalism once again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Regina, as my professors have said over the past year - "If you had the answers to these questions, you'd be rich."

    Annie is right though, everyone is struggling, newspapers are filled with stories of unemployment, bankruptcy, and liquidation. It is very frightening to be in most any career field, but the bittersweet truth for journalists is that the old expensive reporters will be pushed out so us young, cheap workaholics can take their place. And that is a problem - maintaining the quality of journalism in a field where money seems to take top priority.

    ReplyDelete