Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Seeking your editorial opinion part II

Last week, I posted a press release I had received via email regarding vandalism at the Native American House on campus. Right below it, I posted the article from the Daily Illini that covered the over the thousands of dollars worth of damage: one sentence in the police blotter.

Now, I feel like there was way more to this story that the Daily Illini completely missed. First of all, the signs permantly damaged were a part of a "Beyond the Chief" exhibit. Secondly, this was the second time that the exhibit was vadalized, the first time being on or around March 15.

"I find it distressing that this art exhibit which is meant to educate everyone on campus about the indigenous history of Illinois has been repeatedly targeted in this destructive way," said Robert Warrior, director of Native American House and American Indian Studies.

I realize that news needs to be prioritized and that not every story will be able to make it in the pages of the paper. But there is a real story here. Each of the three signs damaged were valued at $10,000 each and the sentimental value to the artists is most likely worth far more than that.
Today, Wednesday 29, the Native American House and American Indian Studies department are hosting an open meeting called "Vandalism and Bias on Nevada Street" in response to the art installation destruction.

Why was a story about celebrating a Jewish holiday on the front page and this horrible crime tucked away in the police blotter? I'm not saying this is a conspiracy, but I definitely think that this did not get the attention it deserved.
I'm curious as to why the DI handled this story in print the way it did.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't know this! Very disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sad that I had to find out about this vandalism through a blog. I would expect something like this to be in the DI as it is a student-run paper, and a situation like this affects all students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also curious how much students pay attention to the blotter. Does it get much attention via user comments?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that some people always read the blotter because it's short and sometimes there is some really funny phrased stuff (which may sound bad saying since it's usually about crime). But I do think there's more behind the story then just a crime, who did it and what was their motive to get out of it? It sounds like an investigative piece!

    ReplyDelete