Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Daily Illini posts confusing sports headline

This was the first thing I saw at www.dailyillini.com this morning:

"UPDATE: Zook lands signing day commits in Hopkins, Hawthorne"

I'm sure there is a better headline than this. How did Coach Zook get this signing day? The first clause is a run-on. After re-reading this a few times, I believe that the editor was trying to say that Zook committed to two players, Hopkins and Hawthorne.

The headline is difficult to read and understand, and I'm sure that a colon or semi-colon belongs between "day" and "commits", or some other kind of clarification of what the point is. Even the subhead would have made a better headline: "Five-star linebacker Jenkins chooses Florida over Illini."

The story that follows is short and simple. The reporter talks about four high school athletes who were targets for the Illini and have now made final decisions of where to attend college and play football.

This is probably the first sports story I've read entirely in years. Sports confuse me, so the last thing I needed was a headline that did too.

2 comments: